Friday, November 25, 2011

Clean eating week, day 2.

Even though I've been a little under the weather today, I've had a lot of fun!
For a long time I've ignored what I know is right, and it really feels right to live in harmony with myself and the knowledge I've learnt. For example, we all know about the great pacific garbage patch, but do we take better care, and watch what we buy and throw out? Some people are really good at balancing their busy lives and manage to take the time and effort to be conscious of the, environment, the welfare of the humans that inhabit it, and their own bodies... I for own am not one of those people. I'd love to be, but usually I tend to move like waves in and out of hobbies and interests and back again. But I really always feel there's room for another chance!

I rewatched a documentary called No Impact Man (its on netflix if you have it) and although living without any environmental impact is too large a commitment to carry out in the long run, there was a lot that inspired me. I was really inspired to cut back my consumerism. Sometimes I get lazy and just want to get back on the shop-and-throw-away train. I really only want to buy things I need, and try to get them used first. I was also inspired by the simplicity of life when you really get back to the basics. If you don't have the money to go out, you stay home and enjoy family and friends etc. I'd like to live a simpler life in that regard. I'd really recommend watching it if you're feeling like you need a little inspiration.

Food wise today, it was very delicious! I always get this idea that when I cook healthy I'm not going to like the dish, and then most of the time I'm surprised by absolutely amazing food! Plus, there's nothing like knowing that every ingredient in the meal your eating is good and nourishing for you!

For breakfast I had a doctored up bowl of instant oatmeal.  I about a half a cup of organic quick cooking oats and mixed it with a tbsp or so of chopped walnuts and raisins, two tsp of maple syrup, and a few shakes of cinnamon.  I stirred it until everything was coated and then I poured boiling water on top just until everything was under the water and let it cook for a few seconds! It was really tasty! A good way to get more fruit would be to chop up apple in to tiny bites and add that too :)

At dinner we has a really healthy tostada. The recipe is from The Kind Diet by Alicia Silver Stone, and holy smokes it was delicious!

You'll need:
2 whole wheat tortillas
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 cup cooked black beans
2 tsp of olive oil
3 pinches of salt
1/2 cup of onion cut into half moons
1 carrot julienned
1 celery stalk cut thin
1/4 cup of corn kernels
1 small cucumbers julienned
1 avocado pitted and cubed
1 tsp chopped arugula
2 tsp chopped cilantro
2 tsp chopped parsley
2 tbsp sunflower seeds

First heat the oil up in a pan and add the onion along with a pinch of salt. Let that cook for 2 minutes or so.  Then add the carrots, celery, and corn, along with two pinches of salt. Give that a stir and let it cook for about 5-7 minutes. Heat the tortillas up in a low heated oven, or if you like a crispier tostada, crank up the heat a little but watch it closely!

Now is the fun part! Put a tortilla on each plate and layer half the rice, then half the beans, half of the vegetable mixture from the frying pan, and then the cucumber, avocado, herbs, and sunflower seeds on top! Its absolutely delicious on its own but it can be topped with sour cream or plain Greek yogurt if you eat dairy, or a tofu cream made out of tofu, lemon juice, and veganaise.

Now is the best thing I ate all day! I've been trying to cut out sugar this week, and I'm really going through withdrawal.  Tonight I was so tempted to make up a batch of chocolate chip cookies, and then I remembered a recipe I had read in a book a long time ago.  It was for raw chocolate mousse, and it was entirely vegan, and yet had the decadence of a yummy chocolate dessert! You have to try this, you won't believe it!

You'll need:
3 avocados peeled and pitted
1/2 cup pure organic maple syrup
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
Just under a cup of cocoa
Berries (any for the top)
Mint leaves (I didn't have any, but they would have been delicious!)

Its really simple, blend up everything but the berries and mint leaves in a food processor until smooth and then serve either in bowls, or fancy martini glasses topped with 3-5 berries and a couple of mint leaves. Please, don't judge this recipe until you try it, you'll be amazed! Yum.

So now that the dishes are done, well mostly done, and I've eaten all I need today, I'm going to sit back, crochet a slipper and watch old episodes of SNL :)

I think tomorrow we're decorating for Christmas!

Peace.



No comments:

Post a Comment