Thursday, December 15, 2011

Finding peace and joy in December.

   As I write this I have so many things to do, so I'll have to make it quick!
 
   If we're not careful we can let December get away with us. Today as I drove from superstore to home, I didn't start driving as soon as the light turned green, I guess my reflexes weren't 100% but I saw it and was about to go when the car behind me honked really obnoxiously. I mean, obnoxiously, not a friendly reminder honk, but a loud long honk of a honk. So I drove all flustered, and as he pressed on the gas his wheels slipped, which I imagine only added to his little fit, and then as soon as he could he passed me doing twice the speed limit. I smiled as he passed, because I was content with the speed in which I was driving. To his dismay, at the next light I was right there behind him, and all his anxious speeding and cutting in and out of traffic didn't save him any time.

    Now, we've all been there, on both sides, we've been the anxious late, sporadic driver, and also the peaceful driver, so this isn't just bashing Mr. Honky pants, it's more of an illustration.

   I've had a pretty peaceful day, I'm feeling a little under the weather, but I just feel like I have a real concept of time today.  I know how much time I have, and that I can use it however I want, I can waste it, use it, bless someone with it, take away from someone with it, feel productive with it, dance in it, or sleep it all way.  This is rare for me.  Usually I waste it, and dread looking at the clock to see how much time I've carelessly spent, and other times I try to get way too much done, and dread how much time my work is taking up, knowing how much more I have left to do.

  In December, theres a tendency to try to do WAY more than we usually do, to make Christmas happier, brighter, and more joyful for others, but it is really adding these things if we're all rushing around, avoiding time itself? I don't think so. I'm really bad at this, but I've just experienced a bit of clarity today.

  So, I tried to bless someone, spending time I could have wasted, and they really appreciated it, then I decided to really enjoy all the time I had doing my work today.  Today I'm baking loads of Christmas cookies, and where last week I rushed through it, not really cherishing the time or the process, today I'm really enjoying the process, the colours, the textures, the smells, and just having an all around more peaceful experience.

So, yes there's a lot to get done, but I really want to add to the season and not take away from it.  I'm so thankful that Jesus is always here, coaching me through it all, and helping me to find peace and joy in the chaotic month of December.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment